Monday, September 25, 2017

Unicorn Quilt pattern: Unicorn Scrappuccino

Caution: Unicorn overload. ;)




Back in April, I started toying around with drawing a pieced unicorn block. It took a LOT of tweaking and many, many, MANY different versions to get it to it's final face. 




I wanted it to be looking straight on.  Then came the hard part. He is a mixture of foundation paper piecing and traditional patchwork. So I really struggled with writing the instructions for FPP and patchwork. 

Finally, I thought this will never become a pattern this way. So I decided to make "foundation paper piecing experience" a requirement for this pattern.  It includes the template but not step by step instructions. It would have taken all kinds of pictures, and pages and pages of instructions. Plus, there are much better explanations on Google these days. After that decision was made, it all came together quickly and I put it out for testers, and these are the testers' blocks. So fun!  I love to see what different people do with the same pattern.

These pics are all from instagram:

This is @mamamel781's block, which she did My Little Pony-style for her daughter.  



@wester.jessica made a scrappy one for her daughter.




Finally, this is from @robotmomsews, whose daughter is now requesting rainbow manes, so the pattern now includes a coloring sheet so you can plan out the mane if you want to do it in different colors. I love the aqua background.



The other day I did another block but this time switched up the mane a little.  Some of the pieces are the same width in the mane and can be interchangeable, so I'm planning to make them each a little different in my finished quilt.



Mine will be mostly from scraps and smaller pieces of leftover fabric. :)  When trying to pick a name for this pattern, I was originally thinking "Blessing" because a herd of unicorns is called a Blessing. :) (unicorn trivia for the day-thank you Google. haha) But then the frappuccino with all the food coloring (and calories!) from that really famous coffee place was all over the news, so I decided to call it Unicorn Scrappuccino. Since I was making it scrappy. :D And it sounds way more fun.

But I still like that a herd of unicorns is called a Blessing. :)

Anyway, I'm really excited to have this one all done.  It was a long time coming and a lot of work.

This morning I got an email asking to mock it up in an upcoming line from Timeless Treasures... so here it is in some dreamy batiks. With some Dear Stella thrown in.



If you know a unicorn fan, and would like to give it a go, this is the cover and it's now in my Craftsy shop. You can view it by clicking here.




Thanks for reading!  Tune in Friday for the first block in the Pokemon Sew Along. :D



Happy Monday!

xoxoxo


6 comments...:

How cute! There were unicorn head bands at the Fall Festival I was at this past weekend. It must be the year of the unicorn.

Gene Black said...

I can see that stitched into a skirt for a young lady that loves unicorns- like the old poodle skirts.

Karen said...

This is so original and fun! Thanks for taking the time to make it available to all of us.


شركة المثالية للتنظيف
شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالدمام
شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالخبر
شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالجبيل
شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالقطيف


شركة تنظيف منازل بالقطيف
شركة تنظيف مسابح بالقطيف
شركة صيانة مسابح بالقطيف
شركة تنظيف مسابح بالدمام

افضل خدمات شركة المثالية للتنظيف بجميع مدن ومحافظات المنطقة الشرقية بالمملكة العربية السعودية للتنظيف ومكافحة الحشرات والمقدمة بافضل جودة وارخص الاسعار حيث توفر شركة المثالية للتنظيف خصم 30% لجميع خدمات التنظيف ومكافحة الحشرات وجلي البلاط اتصل الان واحصل علي خصومات شركة المثالية للتنظيف

Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Buy Me a Coffee

Shop My Store

Shop My Store
Patterns & Quilty Gifts

Easy-to-Piece, Beginner and Confident Beginner Friendly Quilt Patterns

SHOP ACCUQUILT!

SHOP ACCUQUILT!
Team GO Getter!

Click or Scan

gift guide

Can't find what you're looking for?

Follow on BloglovinFollow on Bloglovin Follow me on Feedly
Powered by Blogger.

Fabric for One Giant Stitch

Fun Block Ideas

Have a Question?

Latest Instagrams

Come Sew Along!

Harry Potter Sew Along Fabric Kit

Background

Come Sew Along!

Pokemon Sew Along Fabric Kit

Come Sew Along!

Minecraft Sew Along Fabric Kit

My Latest Pins

Fun Fabric Shops


 photo wintercloth_zps928f3480.jpg

............................