- ► 2016 (55)
- ► 2015 (18)
- ► 2014 (31)
- ▼ 2013 (86)
- ► 2012 (89)
My Blog List
I didn't really know how I was going to do it, b/c I like the quilted look on a zip pouch, but a square of fabric sewn over the quilting wouldn't look very good.
and cut out two 11" squares each of the trains, bikes, batting and muslin. Then I layered the trains, batting and muslin and quilted some straight lines, and repeated for the other side of the pouch.
Then, I cut about a 6" by 14"-ish piece of bike fabric for the pocket construction. I measured and drew out where I wanted the pocket to be on the pouch. Then, with the bike fabric and trains right side together, leaving about an inch and a half or two inches of the bike fabric above where the pocket slit would be I drew the pocket opening line.
Then I sewed about a quarter inch around the line that I drew..
Then I snipped a "Y" so it would turn easily and then flipped the pocket through to the back side.
Also, instead of having the pocket lining be free in mine, I folded the bottom edge of the bike fabric up and brought it to about 1/2" above the top edge of the topstitching around the opening. Then, I measured out a square and topstitched all the way around it so it's fully attached to the wall of the pouch.
I put a pocket in the other side, too, and then did the zip and the lining based on this noodlehead tutorial that I used for the other zip pouches I made.
And then Voila! It was done!! Except, my son had mentioned that he wanted a cool zipper pull on his, too, and I didn't know what to do for that, so I fussy cut a train, and sewed a circle leaving about a finger width open, and stuffed a little bit of fiberfill into it, and then sewed it closed.
When I sewed it closed, I sewed around the circle about three times. (I didn't put too much fiberfill, otherwise it would have been hard to sew closed.) And then cut it out with pinking shears, and attached it with some green ric-rac. It kind of looks like a little echino ravioli. :)
Oh and for the zip tab cover, I fussy cut a bike by cutting a rectangle of fabric, and folding it right sides together, then turning down the top edges, pressing, and then sewing up both sides.
Then I trimmed the corners, turned it right side out, slid it over the end of the zipper and stitched around the all of the edges in a rectangle.
It was so much fun to sew up. Even though I muddled my way through the pockets and should have watched the video first. :) I LOVE these fabrics. I should have gotten those trains out and used them a long time ago!
And that is the making of the zip pouch with welt pockets. (Now I know the proper name!) :) If you made it to the end, thanks for popping in to have a look-see. :)
Have a great weekend!
Linking up with: TGIFF, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Finish it Up Friday, Creative Connection, Anything Goes, Friday Favs,
Very cute! I can tell you exactly where your turn through problem was, as I do these kinds of turn throughs all the time for inset zipped pockets. You need a very sharp pointy pair of scissors to get right into the corners right up to stitching for it to turn neatly (I can see in the photos that you're quite a long way away). I have been that cursing person... ;o)
Kelli,your pouch turned out so adorable! Thanks for the tutorial,bumps in the sewing road and all. It is nice (for us readers/followers) to hear/see that experienced sewers like yourself,make mistakes from time to time like the rest of us :)
I be A Loves it,I sure do!
That is probably the best video I've seen about welt pockets. I too use the method you've used but for zippers. The opening stays about 1/4' open which is the perfect size for zippers. I'd agree with the other commenter and say maybe you weren't close enough to the stitches as the lining fabric isn't pulled all of the way in. Thanks for the video share!