Tuesday, March 27, 2012

new projects and fmq practice

Now that the Swoon top is done, I have been ogling over this stack of fabric that I have been drooling on for a couple of years, and have posted about a couple of times. I was seriously hoarding it for a while.  Oh Rainy Days and Mondays, I LOVE YOU!!


But now that I have printed out the templates for the pattern ("Celebrate"--free pattern from Riley Blake), they seem a little small to me.


So I'm thinking I might enlarge them, so the diamonds are bigger, and show off the umbrella print better.  It's one of my favorites of all time.

(SO in love.)


In Swoony news, I picked out a backing..which looks amazingly like my ironing board cover.


and am still trying to decide whether to quilt it myself, or send it out to have it quilted?  That is my Swoon question.


I haven't ever had a quilt machine quilted by someone else.. the idea is intriguing to me, but it is more expensive..  and I do like that sense of accomplishment when I do it all myself.  And I do like a challenge..


So I started practicing a little with the machine quilting.  With the feed dogs and the walking foot.  It's the only way I can do it right now.  I've tried with the feed dogs down, and just can't get the hang of it yet.  Anyway, I was able to do this, without drawing it out or anything.. so maybe if I actually traced a design, I could do it... ? ... Decisions, decisions.
This is the bottom view--try to overlook the fact that I had the fabric folded over on itself and caught it in the stitching. Oops.

In other news, I finally finished painting our spare room, and made a trip to IKEA yesterday for this little number:
And tonight, my sewing machine will sleep in its very own space, instead of on the dining room table. For the first time ever.

Can't wait to sit there and do some sewing!

Gonna link up with Fabric Tuesday over at Quilt Story.  Happy Tuesday! xo

29 comments...:

JoAnne said...

Don't be afraid to drop those feed dogs and free motion! It is so easy, once you get the hang of it. Does your machine have speed settings? Mine does half speed, so I use that. Have you read the Free Motion Project Blog? It has awesome videos. Give it a try!

Anonymous said...

great post Kelli and lovely sewing room.xx

Wendy said...

Beautiful fabrics. I have a Material Obsession book and they often enlarge favourite blocks to suit the fabric so your idea sounds perfect!!

Katherine said...

It must feel so great to finally have a dedicated sewing table!
As for the free motion, my advice is just do it! It's not nearly as difficult as it seems, and I find it to be a lot of fun. (Using my walking foot, on the other hand, results in much cursing and yelling at the machine. But that's just me :)

Maria said...

WooHoo How nice to have your own sewing space at last. I just love my cave....
What beautiful fabric and I am so looking forward to seeing your enlarged blocks..
Yes do quilt Swoon yourself. as you save it gives you a great feeling of acheivment...

bichonpawz said...

Looking good!!! What I would give to have an IKEA near me!!! I would be over the moon!!

Love your sewing setup!! I haven't a clue as to what quilting is all about..but it sure does look nice!

Look at all this gorgeous fabric...
love your sewing room Kelli..enjoy...

Love the umbrellas too, how nice to have a dedicated sewing space, still the dining room table for me! One day ...

That's exciting having your own sewing table!!! Gotta love IKEA. My sewing table is IKEA.

Tiffany said...

Ooo love your new sewing table!!

Patti said...

Love the fabric too Kelli, and can hardly wait to see it in action!
Great table in your sewing room! Will you use the extra length as a cutting table?
I have never sent out a quilt for FMQ, so I am no help there! I slog along on my own, but hopefully getting better at it!

Lisa Lisa said...

Love the fabric!
Love the Ikea purchase!
Love your FMQ!
Personally, I like to quilt my own. I haven't tried FMQ yet but it's on my list of things to do :) I think I'll check out that free motion project blog that JoAnne mentioned.
Have fun Sewing today!

Happy Sewing at your new Table! You'll love it! Don't be afraid to FMQ.. you'll love it once you get the feel of no dog feeds! I love it to death and wish I hadn't waited over 8 years to try it :)

Brandie said...

Pretty fabric, new sewing room and quilting! Wow!
It looks like you would do fine free-motion quilting. That flower is great. If you're willing to try, go for it.
Great post!

Snoodles said...

What a lucky sewing machine, to have its own little spot! I think you should keep on with the FMQ...you're already doin' good! (Love the fabrics, by the way...I'd be hoarding those, too! LOL)

Looks like a great spot Kelli. I love your fabric choices. They are great. Fun stuff.

How fun! Nothing better than a sewing machine having its own home where you don't have to put it away everyday!!! Visiting from QuiltStory!

Mrs.Hearts

Angela said...

What a great feeling to be able to leave your sewing machine up in its own space! Love your backing fabric. I just bought something very similar to make a tablecloth. I've only hand quilted so can't give any advice on that part.

So exciting about your desk!!! :)

I too love that umbrella fabric. I made a dress for my daughter out of that last year.

As for FMQ...DO IT!!! You can totally do it. Drop those feed dogs and practice a bit. You'll be surprised at how quickly you catch on.

-Amanda-

Oooh, looking forward to seeing what you do with that bundle! And enjoy your new sewing area

Sandy said...

Nice sewing table! The bundle of fabric looks very enticing! I can't wait to see this quilt done.
The red w/white polka-dots fabric is a perfect backing for your Swoon quilt.

Gayle said...

Your sewing table looks great and you have plenty of room. The fabric is pretty too. So have lots of fun.

That new space will never look that clean again. Have fun with your new space.

I did that too, left the feed dogs up the first couple times. Sort of saw what I wanted and then dropped them and tried again. Totally bombed, but eventually I started getting the hang of it.

Merel said...

Lovely blog Kelli and lots of fun in your new sewing place. It looks kind of empty still, but I'm sure that Quilter Kelli fills it in a spit second.:))

Becky said...

Hi Kelli,
It's Becky from The Quilting Booklady. Just wanted to let you know that I mailed your package from my blog giveaway today. You should receive it on Saturday or Monday. I'm in Baton Rouge visiting my Dad. I'm having problems with my outgoing emails, but wanted to let you know your package is on the way. Take care!

Becky

Hi Kelli, it is nice to have your own space for sewing and I love that fabric bundle. I sent my Swoon out, there was no way I was attempting to quilt it at home. Shop around for price. I only had my white background quilted by a Lonrarm Quilter and I am hand quilting the rest for a different look. Mt hopscotch quilt though I am doing on my machine :) also, try grabbing out a small plate (or alike) and using that curve to draw your flower design. I did this on my Rainbow quilt and it worked a treat for me. Best of luck with your swoon, I look forward to seeing what you decide to do. Hugs, Sharon

Bev C said...

Hello Kelli,

I had to smile about your sewing machine having a room of its own. Love your sample of free motion quilting, you probably have it all quilted by now. Good luck with it all.

Happy days.
Bev.xoxo

I love seeing your new sewing machine "home". I would love to see your sewing room! I wish there was an Ikea near here. I see so many quilters use their stuff in their sewing rooms. And I certainly would like to re-do my sewing room without spending an arm and a leg (money that I could use on fabrics!!).

Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Buy Me a Coffee

Shop My Store

Shop My Store
Patterns & Quilty Gifts

Easy-to-Piece, Beginner and Confident Beginner Friendly Quilt Patterns

SHOP ACCUQUILT!

SHOP ACCUQUILT!
Team GO Getter!

Click or Scan

gift guide

Can't find what you're looking for?

Follow on BloglovinFollow on Bloglovin Follow me on Feedly
Powered by Blogger.

Fabric for One Giant Stitch

Fun Block Ideas

Have a Question?

Latest Instagrams

Come Sew Along!

Harry Potter Sew Along Fabric Kit

Background

Come Sew Along!

Pokemon Sew Along Fabric Kit

Come Sew Along!

Minecraft Sew Along Fabric Kit

My Latest Pins

Fun Fabric Shops


 photo wintercloth_zps928f3480.jpg

............................