Monday, March 12, 2012

New Favorite Scrap Pattern

I'm taking a Swoon break today for  two really fun reasons!


Today is my first time to link up at Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story, a new (to me) blog I found, where you can link up anything you're working on that's fabric-related. (Button located in the right side-bar if you're interested.)


It's also Blog-Around Tuesday and I'm taking part in my first Blog-Around, as Beth from EPQD officially releases her new pattern, "Kickin' Stash", this week.  

She has asked if I wouldn't mind writing about my experiences using her pattern, so here goes.  This is what I've been working on.. 



Back at the start of the year I was able to help Beth test her new pattern by joining a block swap/group quilt project.  Each participant made four blocks.  She kept one for the group quilt, swapped the rest out, and mailed three back to each of us who participated.  


Here is one of the swap blocks I received:



I will post the gorgeous group quilt in a minute, but first let me tell you how easy the pattern is.  I whipped this up tonight to share in my post using my Swoon scraps:


And there weren't many Swoon scraps to use.. they aren't kidding when they say don't make cutting errors in the Swoon.  (I even pieced some of my tiny scraps into small scraps.) But "Kickin' Stash" uses such small scraps, and manages to showcase them in a way that makes them look purposeful and beautiful. I wish I had enough of these scraps to make a whole quilt.


AND, this is how small the smallest scrap in the block is:
(that is even part of the selvage edge, it hides well in the block) The possibilities are endless!  Its measurements are also friendly for leftover charms and jelly roll scraps.


If you have tiny scraps of your favorite fabric line that you can't bear to toss (Flea Market Fancy?), you could pair them with a FQ or two of a complimentary color and you would have a whole new quilt showcasing the scraps in a beautiful way!  I just love it!  


Or you could just do random not-matchy scrappiness.  Or random scraps, but in the same color family (which is what we did for the swap).. it's very versatile.


I really do love it.  And not just because Beth has become a very good blogging buddy, and is fun and hilarious, and generous, and kind, but because it really is great and fun AND easy! It is great for all skill levels, and is especially beginner friendly.  Small pieces make for short seams, in case you need to rip one out.  Also, trimming the small scraps to the right size would give one good practice with the rotary cutter. Plus, there is not a seam to be matched except at the center, not a point to be made, just straight seams.  Very forgiving.


  
And I love it b/c now I don't feel like a hoarder anymore for keeping those small bits of fabric that I just can't part with.  I now see their potential.


Here's the group quilt, as pictured at Patternspot.com, where "Kickin' Stash" can be purchased as an instant download for a discounted price this week to celebrate its release. :o)
The group quilt was used as the pattern's cover quilt. (my block is the aqua on the far left) Didn't it turn out so colorful and gorgeous?  All made from random scraps from all over the country. I love what the pattern can do for scraps.  They don't even look like scraps.  There are three sizes included in the pattern, and here are two more photos: (I believe the one on the right is showcasing more group/swap blocks)


Of course, I like the pattern's sassy name, too.  


So what are you waiting for? Go download the pattern and start kickin' some stash! :o)  You won't regret it!


Haven't decided?  Want to read some more reviews?  Here's the blog-around schedule for the week:


Monday, March 12 - Deb Donovan (Aspen Hill)http://aspenhill.wordpress.com/

Tuesday, March 13 - Kelli Fannin (Seriously....I think it needs stitches)www.thatlookslikeitneedsstitches.blogspot.com

Wednesday, March 14 - Anna Dzik (West Third street Designs)http://www.westthirdstreetdesigns.com/

Thursday, March 15 - Marianne Nowacki (Hillside Quiltworks)http://hillsidequiltworks.com/

Friday, March 16 - Linda Pearl (The Patchwork Pearl)http://www.thepatchworkpearl.blogspot.com/

Saturday, March 17 - Terri Sontra (Purple Moose Designs)http://www.purplemoosedesigns.com/weblog/


Happy Tuesday! xo  Go check out Fabric Tuesday, too. :o) I'll be back to sashing the Swoon on Wednesday.






Fresh Poppy Design

26 comments...:

Ellen said...

Great block and it makes up into a fantastic quilt!

Looks like a great way to bust those scraps... Now back to that swoon lady!!!

You are fantabulous. Thank you for the rousing review! I love that all of you who participated have pointed out things about the block/quilt that make it great that I didn't even think of myself! And I love the watch and patch photo - that is quite a visual!

Rachel said...

I love it! I also love that when I saw the block at the top, well, the quilt was SO not what popped in my mind. It was a total surprise. Love that!

Oh this is so pretty! And the quilts that are made from the blocks are really striking.

Kris said...

Kelli - Beth's quilt is great!! And your post is VERY fun!! Kris

Remington said...

That is AWESOME! You certainly have fun quilting! And do such a great job! I like your watch too!

i have a question , can you make this like a disappearing nine patch? i was just looking at it and it looks possible

I see the similarity that you're seeing I think, but I can't find a way to make this from making a 9-patch, the way the fabrics are arranged and sizes that are cut. The quarters can never be arranged to make a 9-patch. Good question for Beth though. She's way more experienced than I am. ;) But I don't think so.

Your quilt is so fun, and what a nice way to use up scraps and sort of "corral" the colors together. I look forward to following your blog... (and by the way I love its title!)

Kirsten said...

That quilt is wonderful - such a great way to use up scraps!

Unknown said...

Wow! I love this block!!! I have got to add this one to my bucket list! Sweet way to use up some stash! :)

Sharon said...

I love this block! Wow, have I got some scraps to use!

Fantastic block!! I love it:)

Hi Kelli! That is really great block! I would love to make a quilt with those! x Teje

Tiffany said...

I just saw that you have a Newfie! I have a lab/newfie mix - he is big and fluffy like a newfie but has a cute lab face - love that dog :) Love the pictures of yours, he is super cute!

Hi, Kelli. Great post with such enthusiasm! The group quilt is so cheerful. Looks great. The block offers quite a number of possibilities.
best, nadia

The block is great - I love how it looks in a quilt! Now, young lady, get back to that Swoon!!

What a great quilt...so bright and vibrant! I've been trying hard not to keep tiny scraps but I might be tempted so I could make one of these. blessings, marlene

Carla said...

The quilt is lovely.

Neat! I like your turquoise block the bestest, hehe. Great review!

Barb said...

That block makes a real nice quilt...

I love this pattern - it looks like a great way to use up scraps!

Kathy said...

Kelli, I love the swoon! Your choice of colors really work. I like how the darker values pop out. If you are talking red polka dots on the back I think that works. I like how that value pops on the front.

Bev B. said...

Tried to download this pattern and can't. Please help. I love tbis

Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Buy Me a Coffee

Shop My Store

Shop My Store
Patterns & Quilty Gifts

Easy-to-Piece, Beginner and Confident Beginner Friendly Quilt Patterns

SHOP ACCUQUILT!

SHOP ACCUQUILT!
Team GO Getter!

Click or Scan

gift guide

Can't find what you're looking for?

Follow on BloglovinFollow on Bloglovin Follow me on Feedly
Powered by Blogger.

Fabric for One Giant Stitch

Fun Block Ideas

Have a Question?

Latest Instagrams

Come Sew Along!

Harry Potter Sew Along Fabric Kit

Background

Come Sew Along!

Pokemon Sew Along Fabric Kit

Come Sew Along!

Minecraft Sew Along Fabric Kit

My Latest Pins

Fun Fabric Shops


 photo wintercloth_zps928f3480.jpg

............................